Cortex-Mx Lite compiler
MSP430 Lite compiler
VFX Forth for Windows
This download is the complete, full featured package as described on the VFX Forth page here. No missing features, no time-out, just a polite “nag” screen and no turnkey application generation. PDF and HTML manuals are included.
The change notes for v4 are available.
The history for earlier versions is available.
Download and Installation Instructions
- Download the self-extracting EXEcutable from here. Approx 8Mb
- Read the install instructions here, especially if you use Windows 64 bit editions.
- Run the downloaded executable and answer any questions which pop up.
- Have fun.
VFX Forth for Linux x86
VFX Forth for Linux is a 32 bit x86 Forth built from the VFX Forth code tree. A free (beer) download version for non-commercial use only is available.
Syntax colouring files for Forth
Mark Corbin has written Forth syntax highlighters for gedit, jEdit, UltraEdit and Kate. They should be part of their respective packages; if not, they are available from:
Book: Programming Forth
Forth 7 VFX Cross Compiler Manual
- Integer benchmark code: benchmrk.fth.
- Floating point benchmark code: mm.fth.
- VFX Forth Code Generator – a paper from EuroForth 1998 about the objectives of the VFX Forth code generator. PDF File: VFXgen.pdf.
- Inside the VFX Forth Code Generator – presented at EuroForth 2000. This is a brief description of the VFX code generator, its objectives and implementation at that time. Note that the email address and website URL have changed since the paper was written in 2000. PDF File: InsideVFX.PDF.
- VFX Forth for ARM Linux – a paper from EuroForth 2014 about porting VFX from x86 to ARM and the impact on the code base. PDF File: VfxArmLinux.pdf.
- SQLite3 interface by Rafael Gonzalez Fuentetaja with a manual. This is derived from Nick Nelson’s interface to MySQL described in his EuroForth paper “The Nearly Invisible database or ForthQL” at the the 22nd EuroForth conference.
ZIP File: ForthQL interface.
ANS/Forth200x Draft proposals
Forth 200x draft documents and proposals can be found at the Forth200x web site. This section contains drafts from the ANS procedures that have not yet been submitted to the Forth 200x process.
- PDF file: i18n.propose.v7.PDF. Approx. Size: 30K. This is the draft ANS proposal for internationalisation. Text macro substitution is now a part of the Forth 200x document.
- PDF file: i18n.widechar.v7.PDF. Approx. Size: 20K. This is the draft proposal for using wide character sets in ANS Forth. For all practical purposes, it is replaced by the Forth 200x “xchars” and “memory access” wordsets.
- Forth source code: international.fth. Approx. Size: 22K. This is a sample implementation of the ANS internationalisation proposal.
- Text file: octets.txt. Greg Bailey’s discussion and proposal for handling octets.
The text in these proposals was authored by Elizabeth Rather of Forth Inc. These proposals are the result of discussions between staff of MPE and FI in front of whiteboards (and beers).
Requests for Comment or Quotation
These are for projects we think would be useful, are too busy or too mean to do ourselves, or are outside our current skill set e.g. too theoretical or academic.
FLint is a tool to provide type and stack checking to existing code rather as Lint does for C sources. Download the draft specification flintspec.pdf
C to Forth Compiler: This is a complete C to Forth compiler with sources. It is an MPE research project which we believe will grow better as a Forth community project. The project is dual-licensed. Non-commercial use is free of charge. For commercial use you must buy a commercial license.
V1.20 has been tested on Windows XP and Windows 7/64. The documentation has been overhauled. Sample build scripts for Windows are provided.